International Driving Permit
An International Driving Permit (IDP) is a legal document which endorses your South African driver's license.
Due to the fact that in many countries English is not an official language - the IDP provides translation of your South African driver's license into several languages as well as the 5 official UN languages. This allows your license to be read and understood in various countries. It also assists motorists in foreign countries, when you need to rent a car or obtain insurance while abroad. The AA strongly recommends that you obtain an IDP if you intend using a vehicle abroad.
As accredited sales of the AA an IDP may be issued at any of our stores which are listed below and only takes 15-20 minutes for us to process. Please download and complete the application form and return it to us with the following documentation.
IDP Application form
- Payment of a permit fee - R 265.00 per permit incl. VAT, excl. postal charges (please see below).
- Two ID or Passport photographs (which can be taken in store at a fee). Photos must be gloss.
- Presentation of a valid South African driver's license (credit card format) or certified copies of the front and back of the license.
- Presentation of a valid South African ID or Passport or certified copies of the identification page in the document.
- Certified copies must be dated and may not be older than two months.